Granada Hills Quarterback Vazquez Declared Academically Ineligible
- Share via
Granada Hills High quarterback Edgar Vazquez, the area’s leading City Section passer, has been ruled academically ineligible and will miss the remainder of the season.
Vazquez, who passed for 1,009 yards and eight touchdowns in eight games, was unable to achieve the section’s required minimum grade-point average of 2.0, Granada Hills co-Coach Darryl Stroh said.
Granada Hills established a tutoring program several years ago designed to prevent player ineligibility and Vazquez had been attending the sessions since progress reports were issued six weeks ago, Stroh said. Vazquez becomes the first skill-position player of note to be ruled ineligible in Stroh’s seven-year tenure.
“We’ve never really lost anybody of consequence,” Stroh said. “It’s very discouraging. He just didn’t do any work.”
Stroh said that Vazquez will be replaced by junior Matt Livingston, who has played sparingly and has not attempted a pass.
“He’s a real bright kid who gets almost all A’s,” Stroh said of Livingston. “We’ve been gradually bringing him along.”
Two starters in the secondary, senior Shontrell Ryals and sophomore Marcel Wilson, also were declared academically ineligible.
Granada Hills (5-3) will play host to Taft on Friday at 8 p.m.
More to Read
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.